Here I’m going to explain that How to Calculate Percentage of a number. You can find a percentage or work out the percentage given numbers and percent values. You can also know how to calculate percentage of marks obtained in your examinations. Know: How to Remove Password From PDF File
How to Calculate Percentage
The numbers that you will be converting into percentages can be given to you in 2 different formats, decimal and fraction. Decimal format is easier to calculate into a percentage. There are so many formulas for percentage problems available. You can think of the most basic idea as X/Y = P x 100. The formulas below are all mathematical variations of this formula.
Note: Let us explore the basic percentage problems. X and Y are numbers and P is the percentage:
How to Calculate Percentage of a Number
We can calculate percentage of a number using the percentage formula: P% * X = Y
Example: What is 10% of 150?
- Convert the problem to an equation using the percentage formula: P% * X = Y
- P is 10%, X is total value 150, so the equation is 10% * 150 = Y
- Convert 10% to a decimal by removing the percent sign and dividing by 100: 10/100 = 0.10
- Substitute 0.10 for 10% in the equation: 10% * 150 = Y becomes 0.10 * 150 = Y
- Do the math: 0.10 * 150 = 15, Y=15
- So 10% of 150 is 15
Double check your answer with the original question: What is 10% of 150? Multiply 0.10 * 150 = 15
Let us understand with another example how to find what percent of X is Y using the percentage formula: Y/X = P%
Example: What percent of 60 is 12?
- Convert the problem to an equation using the percentage formula: Y/X = P%
- X is 60, Y is 12, so the equation is 12/60 = P%
- Do the math: 12/60 = 0.20
Important The result will always be in decimal form, not percentage form. You need to multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage.
- Converting 0.20 to a percent: 0.20 * 100 = 20%
- So 20% of 60 is 12.
Double check your answer with the original question: What percent of 60 is 12? 12/60 = .020, and multiplying by 100 to get percentage, 0.20 * 100 = 20%.
Hope the above mentioned Percentage formula helps you to find Percentage for a number as well as marks obtained in your 10th or 12th class examinations.